Guidance and Advice for Parents
School Uniform Grant
A school clothing grant can help towards the cost of a school uniform for children aged 11 who are changing from primary to secondary school. Only one grant is payable during a child's school life.
Applications can only be made between 30 June and 30 September each year.
For further information please telephone the council's Benefits Contact Centre on 020 7364 5001.
To qualify, you (the parent or guardian) must be receiving one of the following:
- Income-based Job Seekers Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Income Support
- Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
- Support from NASS (National Asylum Support Service) under part IV of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Have an annual income less than £15860 (excluding child benefit and child tax credit).
Free School Meals
Pupils are entitled to free school meals if their parents are in receipt of the following:
• receiving income support
• receiving income-based jobseeker’s allowance
• receiving the guarantee credit of pension credit
• receiving income-related employment and support allowance
• in receipt of support from NASS (national Asylum Support Service)
• have an income, as assessed by the Inland Revenue, of less than £16,190 a year (this is called the threshold amount) and who do not get working tax credit but do get child tax credit.
Please note you do not have to be claiming housing benefit or council tax benefit in order to make a claim for free school meals for your dependent children.
The child’s parent/guardian must make a claim either by:
• Completing a paper copy of the claim form available from the One Stop Shop or by phoning the Benefits Service on 020 7364 5001.
• Making a claim for housing and/or council tax benefit (which also counts as a claim for free school meals).
The LB Tower Hamlets One Stop Shops offer a walk-in service dealing with all general enquiries regarding council services.
What should I do if I think my child has special educational needs?
Contact Ms. Lowrie (SENDCO) in the Inclusion Faculty; email SEND@Central.towerhamlets.sch.uk
For more information on SEND assessment, support and provisions CLICK HERE
Whole Class Feedback (WCF)
Medical Needs Policy