(Framework for Teaching Mathematics – years 7 to 9 – DfES)
We are committed to developing the numeracy skills of our learners, in the belief that it will support their learning and enable them to access the whole curriculum and, in turn, raise standards for all. We believe that Numeracy is not the sole responsibility of the Mathematics Department. Most other subjects can, in fact, contribute to the development and enhancement of students’ numeracy skills including their ability to describe and explain their strategies and reasoning. Almost all subjects depend on pupils having competence in basic numeracy skills.
Numeracy skills enable students to understand and interpret numerical and analytical information. This facilitates improvement in students' abilities to make their own judgments and to draw sensible conclusions from information. If students' numeracy skills are not developed and used they may well be denied the opportunity to develop the level of understanding of some topics or subjects at the level expected for their age.
Implementing systematically a Numeracy policy across the curriculum, with all teachers confident in the teaching of numeracy in the context of their subject.
- To provide opportunities for pupils to improve and develop numeracy skills outside the Maths classroom.
- To provide opportunities for staff and parents to improve and develop numeracy skills.
- To create effective channels of communication and a cohesive voice for Numeracy across the whole school via the School Numeracy Lead
- To encourage pupils and staff to recognise the importance of Numeracy in all subjects across the curriculum, transfer and apply Numeracy skills in everyday life/unknown contexts.
- To encourage staff to take responsibility for the development of numeracy in each subject area.
- To raise staff and pupils awareness of key numeracy strategies through whole school initiatives.
To deliver subject specific and generic extra-curricular opportunities.
Key Numeracy Scaffolding for Students
Students have the following pages available in their planner to support them in all subjects.